Wednesday, March 23, 2011

excuse me, how much is it?

Warning: money talk and complaining zone!

 Recently, I and my Lovely Boyfriend sat down and we looked at properties in NYC. No, we did not look at anything in the city (Manhattan), nor did we look anywhere in the boroughs since it is EXTREMELY expensive :( We decided to look in the suburbs, 40-60minutes drive, we thought "that it is ok, we can drive." But NO, NO, NO even there the prices are colossal. The properties are ok, ranging in 300 thousands, however who can afford $10,000 in taxes? Definitely we won't.
So then we thought; "that is ok, lets look at apartments, we can live in an apartment" But oh we were headed for another disappointment. Who wants to live in a tiny 500sq ft apartment for $300,000 plus taxes around $5,000? not me! great!  
Looking at the prices we've got a serious reality check. We feel overwhelmed and sad. I feel like there is no hope and that I will need to work hard and wait at least 10years till I can afford my own place, and on top of that a person needs to live somewhere and unfortunately renting is also expensive. So how can one save enough money to buy something in the future? Maybe I should stop eating, buying clothes and move into a cardboard box under the bridge?

With tears in my eyes, feeling totally hopeless I started checking out other states and places where there are jobs etc. Out of simple interest, to see the difference between states I was checking out properties and how much are the living costs. All the research got me to Tampa, FL. Can you believe that according to salary.com, living in there is 42% cheaper than in NYC and although the salary might not be as big as in NYC, you need to earn $28,000 a year in order to be able to live the same quality of live in NYC that costs $50,000! what a difference! A nice house with few bedrooms, a backyard etc. starts at $100,000 unbelievable. We could go now and get a house with no problem. Crazy...

All of that made me think "maybe we should consider relocating?". I am not saying that we need to move to Tampa, FL. However, maybe we should just think about it? Maybe in a different state, if we could find jobs, we could have a nice, calm, affordable living, without worrying about saving money for the next decade?! After all , I always wanted to move out of NYC....


Photo by : The Nichols

6 comments:

  1. Poor you, I know how you feel, we moved house last year and trying to find something nice, affordable and in a good area is nearly impossible! Good luck with your search :)

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is rotten. It's the same in the UK, prices are sky high, and many people can't even thnk about leaving home until their late 20's/early 30's, it simply isn't an option.

    I hope your luck changes, and something perfect and affordable turns up. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bee happy and sadie- thank you very much :) I hope that something with work out some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel! Moving and buying a home is a very big deal. I am sure you will find the right place at the right time. For now, enjoy living in NYC as it is a beautiful place! I have lived in several places, and I have come to love every state and town I lived in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cape Cod Rambling Rose- Thank you, after a longer thought I decided that this is exactly what I am going to do.I am going to enjoy nyc and not worry about the future so much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well....my father in law bought a house in this teeny tiny little town we live in a few years ago for $12K, to help this old friend out that couldn't sell it. Does that make you feel like moving to the Dakotas? haha. Purely ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete